With Christmas fast approaching I have made it my mission to bake more and gingerbread men were on the top of my list to accomplish. After scouring the internet for many different recipes, I decided to play around and make my own. This simple gingerbread man recipes is easy to make and can be whipped up in under an hour.
I N G R E D I E N T S (Makes 20)
175g Brown Sugar
1 Large Free Range Egg
4 Tbsp Golden Syrup
1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Tsp Cinnamon or to taste
3 - 4 Tsp Ground Ginger or to taste
M E T H O D
1. Start by preheating the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Mix together the flour, ginger, cinammon and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Add the butter in and rub until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and golden syrup together then add this to the mixture. Mix until it clumps together and then knead until it is smooth. Afterwards, wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This helps the gingerbread men keep their shape whilst cooking so they don't spread as much.
4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to the thickness you want, however I would recommend somewhere between 0.3-0.5cm thick. Using any cutter you want, cut them out and place on the baking tray. You must leave a gap between each gingerbread man.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, transfer them over to a wire rack ready for cooling. After they've cooled, decorate with writing icing and any decorations you want!
Do gingerbread men get you into the festive spirit?